Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

EXCLUSIVE: Seema Biswas talks about Chalti Rahe Zindagi; reveals she was offered role of Amitabh Bachchan’s mother: “If I asked for script, they used to think ‘Na shakal, na soorat hai. Bachchan ji ke saath kaam karne ka mauka de raha hai aur yeh script maang rahi hai’”

The film Chalti Rahe Zindagi was released last month on Zee5 and has been loved for its wonderful performances and touching moments. It stars Seema Biswas, Manjari Fadnnis, Siddhant Kapoor, Indraneil Sengupta and Barkha Sengupta and is the story of society residents grappling with the COVID-induced lockdown in 2020. Seema Biswas was an exception; her performance of a person suffering from OCD and anxiety was one of the best acts in recent times. In an exclusive interview with Bollywood Hungama, the National Award-winning actress spoke about her performance in the film and a lot more.

What feedback did you get for your performance in Chalti Rahe Zindagi? People have liked it. Every time, I feel I am the worst actor in the film! I get very nervous. But I got a good very good response. This made me realize that maine accha kaam kiya hai film mein (smiles).

Did you take inspiration from your own life or from your loved ones for playing the role? Yes. In fact, I have faced a lot during the COVID period. I was shooting in Banaras while my mother was in Guwahati. The shoot was cancelled due to rising cases. Meanwhile, the lockdown was imposed and my mother got stuck in Assam. Then every day, we used to chat on video call. She used to assure me that she was fine and would tell me that she was doing padmasana (smiles). Sometime later, she fell down and suffered a fracture. As a result, she even had to undergo an operation. I rushed to meet her. I could see her only from a distance in the hospital as I was quarantined.

So, it was a sad depressing time. But others suffered much more than us. Many got homeless and jobless. A few of my friends passed away or went through a critical time in the hospital. The hospitals, meanwhile, were charging exorbitantly. Hum koi Adani-Ambani toh hai nahin ki itna paise de sake? I pooled money along with others to help our loved ones who were suffering in the hospitals. Some of them lost their homes and I accommodated them in my humble 2 BHK flat. It was scary as you don’t know if they have COVID. At one point, even I tested positive. But I am lucky I didn’t go through hell like others.

In such sad times, working in films was quite relaxing. This is how I did Chalti Rahe Zindagi.

Chalti Rahe Zindagi had a direct release on OTT and didn’t arrive in cinemas. It’s a trend that became common thanks to the lockdown. How do you look at this trend? During that period, even I consumed a lot of films on various digital platforms. Initially, films had to be sold to OTT as there was no guarantee when theatres would reopen. At first, I was okay with it but later, I realized that I was missing the cinema hall experience. Crores of money are spent with the idea that the film will be seen by the audience in all its glory in theatres. Hence, this trend saddens me. Once in a while, if you see a film at home, it’s fine. But a film is meant to be experienced on the big screen.

The entourage debate has become the talking point in the industry. What are your views? I don’t agree with it. I am the kind of person who feels that asking more than what you want is like a crime. I don’t like spending too much on anything, be it clothes, cars, etc. My friends and sister complain a lot about this habit. But then, isn’t it criminal to have such wants in a country like India where 70-80% of people are poor?

Do you feel at times that you got typecast? After doing Khamoshi (1996) and Hazaar Chaurasi Ki Maa (1998), I didn’t take up roles for the next 3-4 years. I was sitting without work. And I am a shy person; I don’t approach anyone for work.

Why didn’t you take up roles? That’s because I used to be offered the role of Amitabh Bachchan’s mother! I used to still ask them, ‘Role kya hai?’. They would simply stay, ‘Amitabh Bachchan ji ki mother ka role hai’! I was also offered to play Anil Kapoor and Aamir Khan’s mother.

I remember, once I met Shekhar Kapur and he complained about why I was not taking up work. I explained to him how I am given the mother’s role. He said, ‘So what? Didn’t Nargis also work in Mother India (1957)?’. I replied, ‘I am ready to work in Great Grandmother India. But koi mujhe role toh bataye!’

When I used to ask for the script, the filmmakers had reservations. They used to not say, ‘Na shakal, na soorat hai. Amitabh Bachchan ji ke saath kaam karne ka mauka de raha hai aur yeh script maang rahi hai’!

This is when I decided that I wouldn’t work in such films and would take up a project only if my heart was in it. Even recently, I wasn’t happy with some of the scripts offered to me. I invested my time doing a solo performance as a tribute to my parents.

You played PM Basu in The Family Man 2. Are you a part of Season 3 as well? Yes, I am a part of it. 70-80% of my portions are done. The next leg of the shoot will take place in September.

Post a Comment

0 Comments