Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

Shah Rukh Khan says, “I don't like to play characters that demean women”; calls his Devdas character “Loser” after Sanjay Leela Bhansali directorial screens at 77th Locarno Film Festival

Shah Rukh Khan has always been known for his versatility as an actor. However, not many know that he initially turned down the iconic role of Devdas in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s eponymous film. Speaking at the 77th Locarno Film Festival, the superstar revealed his reservations about the character. "Devdas was a guy who's an alcoholic, doesn't commit to a girl, and goes away. I could not find any essence in it at my age," Shah Rukh confessed.

Shah Rukh Khan’s Initial Reservations Reflecting on the role, Khan said, "Devdas was the movie that my mother loved watching, and my dad also used to talk about it. It's one of the greatest classic films with Dilip Kumar. But when Mr. Sanjay Leela Bhansali approached me, I initially said no. I thought Devdas was a loser, an alcoholic, and I was too cool to play him." However, Bhansali's persistence, coupled with the director's exceptional talent, eventually led Shah Rukh to agree to the project. A Character Study, Not an Idol During the discussion, Shah Rukh Khan made it clear that he never intended for audiences to admire Devdas. "I don't like to play characters that demean women. I'll be honest. I didn't want him to be liked for the reason in the film that he, you know, doesn't commit to a woman and essentially abandons her. I wanted him to come across as a spineless person, not someone you should look up to."

He further added, “It's enjoyable to watch, but it's not a character you take back home. Yes, the film was beautifully made, and the performances were strong, but Devdas as a person was not admirable. He was tragic, but that doesn't make him a hero.”

As part of the Locarno Film Festival tribute, Devdas was screened once again, reminding audiences of its unforgettable tragedy. The film’s tragic ending, where Devdas dies on the streets longing for one last glimpse of Paro, remains etched in the memories of those who have seen it. 

Also Read: Shah Rukh Khan CONFIRMS his next film King with Sujoy Ghosh: “For 6-7 years I have been thinking about it”

Post a Comment

0 Comments